2017 Board Candidates
The NARPM® Nominating Committee has announced the slate of officers and directors for 2017 open positions. Below are bios of all candidates, along with their photos.
Brian Birdy, MPM® RMP®
Vice President of Residential Management for Property Management Inc. in Lehi, UT
- Served as the 2015 SE RVP and lead the Region to reach each of the goals set for them. Also served as the NARPM® Professional Development Chairman in 2011, 2012, and 2013. I am a certified NARPM® National Instructor and have taught at all Regional Conferences and at the National Convention. Locally, served on the NARPM® San Antonio Metropolitan Area Chapter on their Executive Leadership Board from 2008-2011.
- Graduated from the Texas REALTOR® Leadership Program (TRLP – Texas Association of REALTORS® Leadership program) in 2010. In 2011, received the San Antonio Board of REALTORS® Property Manager of the Year Award. Earned CPM® from IREM in 2012.
- Chairman of the San Antonio Board of REALTORS® Property Management Committee, Scripture Distribution Chairman for the San Antonio NE Gideon Camp.
- Served 15 years on active duty as an Air Force Recruiter and Air Force Personnel Specialist.
Brian feels, “the major opportunity for NARPM® today is that more people are looking to get into property management and are looking to NARPM® as the source of getting their much needed education and information. The current challenges facing NARPM® today are continuing to serve our growing membership with our volunteer workforce and the need to improve and elevate the level of education we provide. We need to raise NARPM® education to a level better than any other organization’s education. This will require a financial commitment to ensure that the classes, materials, and instructors are all the best that can be provided.
- NARPM® continues to grow because of our unique dedication and application of networking and sharing.
- NARPM® has grown to be the sought-after leader in Education for the Residential Property Management Professional.
- NARPM® Designations are now at the pinnacle in designations sought by Real Estate and Property Management Professionals.”
Brian also stated, “Designations and Certifications are the center point of NARPM® membership and growth. They are the reason many people join and a big reason why a lot of people continue their membership. Getting designations is the driving force behind filling the educational classes and attendance at Regional Conferences, and National Conventions, as well as involvement in Chapters and Committees. I would look into adding new designations for Maintenance Companies, and Expert Property Managers. I would want to increase the importance placed on getting your designations and make some changes that would get the RVPs, Chapter Presidents, and Mentors more involved in the recognition of candidates. I also would want to revamp and improve the Mentor program to ensure individuals are placing the highest importance in that role and really working with the candidates to help them get their designations and certifications.”
Eric Wetherington, MPM® RMP®
Director/Broker of Carolina One Property Management in N. Charleston, SC
- Led formation of NARPM® Charleston Chapter. Currently serving as Immediate Past President of the Chapter. National Finance Committee – 2 years. National Government Affairs Committee – 2 Years. PAC Distribution Committee – Current. SE RVP – Current. Speaker and Regional, National and Broker/Owner Conferences.
- Mus. Cornerstone University, 1992
- Church Music Director; Church Deacon; Church Safety Team Member; Forms Committee South Carolina
- Association of REALTORS®; Jenkins Home Orphanage; Charleston Men’s Chorus; Charleston Symphony Chorus;
- Charleston Symphony Chorus Chamber Singers
- 3 years in food service management. 21 years in real estate services (title insurance, property management etc.) in sales, management and executive roles. 1.5 years real estate sales broker. 1 year private consulting, Vice-President – Investors Title Insurance Company; Asst. Vice-President – Chicago Title of Michigan
- Most Outstanding Student – Dale Carnegie Leadership for Managers. Chairman of Deacons – Ferndale Baptist Church. 2011 Rainmaker Award – Leading Real Estate Companies of the World. President’s Club – Chicago Title.
Eric feels, “The business of property management is evolving from a small company model to a large company model. As institutional investors have acquired more properties, they have sought a level of sophistication from property managers that is different than many property managers have had to deal with in the past. NARPM® has the opportunity to continue serving the needs of small to mid-sized companies, while also developing new ways to address the needs of these large and mega-sized companies.”
Eric also stated, “Designations and Certifications are the center point of NARPM® membership and growth. They are the reason many people join and a big reason why most people continue their membership. Getting designations is the driving force behind filling the educational classes and attendance at Conferences, and National Conventions, as well as involvement in Chapters and Committees. I would look into adding new designations for Maintenance Companies, and Expert Property Managers. I would want to increase the importance placed on getting your designations.”
Atlantic Regional Vice President Candidate:
Scott Abernathy, MPM® RMP®
Reliant Property Management, Inc. in Murfreesboro, TN
- National Government Affairs Committee Chairman; NARPM® Nashville Chapter Education Chairman; Professional Positions: Managing Broker, Prudential Rowland Real Estate; Real Estate Sales, Coldwell Banker, Snow and Wall.
- Served on the Board of Directors for theNARPM® Nashville Chapter from 2008 to current, including chapter President in 2010. Served on the National Government Affairs Committee from 2012 to current, including the 2015 and 2016 Committee Chairman.
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Middle Tennessee Association of REALTORS® from 2009 to current of which I am the current Treasurer.
- Managing Broker of Prudential Rowland Real Estate, Real Estate Sales Person with Coldwell Banker, Snow and Wall, Service in the United State Air Force.
Scott feels, “Given the fact that NARPM® has just started a political action committee, the largest opportunity for NARPM® now is creating and/or enhancing connections to government officials and other trade associations. I believe we should leverage the NARPM® PAC to influence federal laws and regulations, educate officials on property management issues and provide valuable services to our members.”
Scott also stated: “Almost everything I know about properly managing rental properties I have learned from either NARPM® or NARPM® Members. It has allowed me to have great success in this business. I feel the need to give of my time and expertise to the membership that has done so much for me.”
Southeast Regional Vice President Candidate:
Joel Elliott, RMP®
Chief Executive Officer/Broker of Record for EW Capital Management, LLC in Riverdale, GA
- Past President of NARPM® Atlanta Chapter; Nominations Chair, President of NARPM® Atlanta Chapter, Vice President of NARPM® Atlanta Chapter.
- Introduced first Annual Awards and Holiday Gala at the Chapter Level. Helped lead the charge in creating the Fast Track program in the Atlanta Chapter to assist members in obtaining designation in 1 year.
- Current active member of the Metro South Board of REALTORS® in Atlanta, Member of IREM, past Finance Chair for my community HOA. Past member of special task for Clayton County and the Metro Atlanta Black Chamber of Commerce.
- Vice President Market Leader BB&T Bank, Licensed Financial Specialist and Recruiter Wachovia Bank
Joel feels, “One of the major challenges facing NARPM® today is that the sales market is returning, so some agents are returning to focus on Sales full time and leaving property management, which of course is reducing our membership. [In 5 years] as NARPM® continues on this journey of growth, we will continue to provide first class education and positive change for property management throughout the United States and soon the rest of the world.”
Joel stated, “The one change that I would make is increasing the awareness of the organization and fostering a better partnership with the NAR. I would implement this by requiring partnership of each Chapter with local Boards and awarding points through Chapter Excellence. Also, to be able to influence positive change within the organization and be a part of the amazing group that is leading change in the Residential Property Management Industry.”
Central Regional Vice President Candidate:
Greg Doering, MPM® RMP®
GDAA Property Management, LLC, CRMC® in Round Rock, TX
- Bachelor of Arts – Political Science, Bachelor of Arts History, Cal State University Dominguez Hills – 1984
- Texas REALTOR® – licensed – 1997
- Texas Broker – licensed -2006
- NARPM® Austin Chapter Member of the Year – 2013
- Approved Instructor with the Texas Association of REALTORS®
- Author of four Texas Association REALTORS® MCE Approved Property Management and Leasing Classes
- NARPM® Austin Chapter President Elect – 2012
- NARPM® Austin Chapter President – 2013
- NARPM® Austin Chapter Past President – 2014
- Central Region Committee member – 2012
- Committee Chair Texas State Conference – 2013
- Ambassador Central Region – 2015 – Present
- Assisted in formation of the NARPM® Central Texas Chapter – 2015.
- Licensed Texas REALTOR®, owner of GDAA Real Estate group 1997 – Current.
- FedEX- Senior Manager 1984-1997
- Various church and children’s school committees – Children’s Sunday school and Vacation Bible School High School Drill Team.
Greg feels, “Leadership Development: The newly implemented chapter leadership program will have tremendous long-term impact. An emphasis on training, setting expectations, and providing strong support will add additional direction, confidence, and growth to newly elected chapter leaders. I believe the next two years will be the foundation for this program’s long term success.
Education: A) Continuation of the emphasis on educational events at the local chapter level. Feedback regarding chapter’s educational needs must be addressed in a pro-active manner. B) Educational emphasis from outside the industry and at a higher level specifically tailored for more experienced members (the most recent Broker/Owner Conference is perfect example of this point) for example, creating additional classes such as Fair Housing and Assistance Animals.
Chapter growth: Continuation of individual membership growth but looking for additional opportunities for new chapter formation.
Political Lobbying: NARPM must have a strong voice on both a local, state, and federal level. We are off to a good start with the federal lobby. I believe local chapter and state membership involvement will pay tremendous dividends not only in educational effort towards our elected officials, but increasing our overall impact.”
Greg also stated, “I believe the development of leaders is the future of NARPM®. I realize the value I have received from both the NARPM® organization, as well as the leadership of the NARPM® members. Personally and professionally, I have grown to a level that was not imagined prior to my joining NARPM®. It is my turn to serve, to give back, and to take the time to invest in others, as so many have invested in me.”
Pacific/Pacific Islands Regional Vice President Candidate:
Timothy Wehner, MPM® RMP®
Business Partner of Dodson Property Management, LLC in Richmond, VA
- Currently Business Partner, Property Manager 2009-2011, Regional Property Manager 2011-2014 – Dodson Property Management
- Founding Member of NARPM® Greater Richmond Chapter
- Earned RMP® designation in 2013
- Earned MPM® designation pending final approval in 2016
- NARPM® “Top 40 Under 40”
- Chair, Virginia State Conference – 2015, 2016
- Head 9th grade and JV basketball coach at Benedictine College Preparatory – 2010-Current
- Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce “Mentor Richmond” graduate
- Chair of Young Alumni Board – Randolph Macon College
- Fundraiser and Volunteer with SportableRVA
- Account Executive, Clear Channel – 2007-08
- Account Executive, Door to Door – 2008
Tim feels, “NARPM®’s strategic plan outlines several excellent answers to the question, “What are the major challenges facing NARPM” and I think the most important of those challenges are: Identifying new and future leaders and improving and expanding educational opportunities.
I think that these two items, if approached correctly, can keep the membership engaged over the long haul and help NARPM® achieve it’s vision. If not handled correctly, the tremendous momentum gained in recent years will fizzle and the membership will become disinterested.
A major opportunity, in kind, is continuing to implement and expanding on the leadership education that we received in St. Louis this year. NARPM® needs to position its leaders as advocates and that leadership training is the perfect opportunity to send current and future leaders back to their chapters, as not only advocates, but advocates with answers to the questions that seemingly go unanswered year after year at the chapter level.”
Tim also states, “I think we’re working on this a little bit, but it hasn’t been as successful as I’d like it: education not just for business owners or key decision makers, but better education for each member of a company from staff accountants to assistant managers to leasing agents. I’d like to see NARPM® have enough content for business owners to be forced to send their entire office to our National Convention for a week. I’d also like to see some more education on how to build a business, not just grow a business.”